Avoid a Texas DWI Arrest
Helpful Advice from the Lawyers at Bailey & Galyen
If you have been arrested for or charged with drinking and driving, it may be too late to read this page. However, following the recommendations listed here may help you avoid similar circumstances in the future.
If you already face DWI charges, contact the attorneys at Bailey & Galyen. We have decades of experience effectively protecting the rights of people charged with drunk driving. We emphasize personal service and attention, taking the time to listen carefully to all your concerns so that we can tailor our representation to get the results you need.
We offer a free initial consultation. Contact our office or call us at one of the numbers listed below to set up an appointment.
Our DWI Lawyers protect the rights of clients across Texas, including in Dallas – Fort Worth, Bedford, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Carrollton, Weatherford, Mesquite, and Plano, TX.
The Best Ways to Avoid an Arrest for Drunk Driving
The most obvious way to avoid a DWI arrest is to refrain from driving when you have consumed any alcohol. Depending on a number of factors, including how much you have eaten, how large you are and when you last ate, even one drink may put you at or over the legal limit. The best advice is to wait a minimum of two to four hours after the consumption of any alcohol before getting behind the wheel of a car.
Other steps you can take that will minimize your risk of arrest include:
- making certain your car’s registration is current and that you have the appropriate tag on your car. Unfortunately, many people who are charged with DWI are pulled over because of an expired or out-of-date registration tag. Simply having the tag in the car with you won’t help. Keep your registration current and immediately update your license plate.
- obeying all traffic laws. Most people arrested for DWI are pulled over for violation of another traffic law, not because they appear to be driving while intoxicated. Common offenses include speeding, making illegal turns or lane changes, or failing to use due caution. You can even be pulled over for driving too slowly. Don’t increase your risk if you have had a drink or two. Obey the traffic laws.
- don’t volunteer information to the police officer. If you are old enough to drive, you must know that you have the right to remain silent. Don’t tell the officer that you have been drinking, and don’t worry that your refusal to answer a direct question may imply guilt.
- make certain your car is street-legal. Any defective equipment, such as a broken light or faulty turn signal, can be the basis for a traffic stop. Also, tinted windows, glass packs and other customized features that may or may not be legal can be the basis for being pulled over.
- don’t take field sobriety or coordination tests. You are not required to take field sobriety tests. You cannot be arrested for refusing to submit to the test.
Contact the DWI Lawyers at Bailey & Galyen
At Bailey & Galyen, we are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to protect your rights when you have been charged with a DWI. We offer a free initial consultation to all clients. Contact us or call us to set up an appointment. Evening and weekend consultations are available upon request. Se habla Español.
Skilled DWI Defense Attorneys Protecting Your Constitutional Rights
Bailey & Galyen
1901 Airport Freeway,
Bedford, TX 76021
With offices located in:
Arlington: 817.276.6000, Toll-Free: 877.345.6767 | Bedford: 817.868.5500
Dallas: 214.252.9099 | Ft. Worth: 817.263.3000
Ft. Worth (Main St.): 817-752-3310
Grand Prairie: 972.642.7900, Toll-Free: 866.380.3369
Mesquite (by appointment only): 972.682.7868 | Weatherford: 817.594.5428
We now offer a solution for individuals struggling to afford necessary legal services. Learn about the Bailey & Galyen Legal Card.
Our DWI attorneys protect the rights of clients across Texas, including in Dallas – Fort Worth, Bedford, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Carrollton, Weatherford, Mesquite, and Plano, TX.
Tests & Information
Blood Alcohol Level
Facts & Definitions
Tags: driving under the influence, grand prairie, miranda warning, you can, fort worth, dwi court, transport law, criminal law, dwi lawyers, drunk driving, dwi arrest, dwi charge, texas dwi, dallas, dwi, bedford, weatherford, law, arlington, arrest, steps, avoid, charge, plano, carrollton, arrests, mesquite
Our Legal Newsletter
Read More >>